PROPOSITIONS & COPY MANAGER (UP TO 12 MONTHS CONTRACT)
- Battersea Dogs and Cats Home
- London (Central), London (Greater)
- £43,450 Per Annum
- Closing date
- 13 Mar 2023
- Job Discipline
- Advertising, Brand Management, Digital & Social
- Experience Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Propositions and Copy Manager (maternity cover) (BDCH1687) Battersea London
Battersea is here for every dog and cat and has been since 1860. We are a leading animal welfare charity and over the last 160 years we’ve grown from one home in London to three rescuing and rehoming centres across the South East. With c500 staff and 1000 volunteers, we have cared for over three million vulnerable animals We also campaign tirelessly to make things better for dogs and cats; sharing our expertise and educating the public and policymakers about responsible pet ownership. Join us and make a difference for every dog and cat.
Please read the information below thoroughly before starting your application.
Your supporting statement is a very important part of your application. We cannot make any assumptions about your knowledge, skills and experience so the information that you provide in your supporting statement is vital for us to decide whether to shortlist you for an interview.
Please demonstrate how you meet the criteria and our values listed in the person specification, detailing your experience, skills, achievements and/or abilities that are relevant for the role that you are applying for. You should use specific examples. Please do not generalise e.g. “I usually….”, or waste your word limit by telling us that you love dogs and cats. We are looking for evidence that you can thrive in the role advertised.
Your statement should not exceed 1,000 words. We recommend you draft and save your supporting statement outside of the application portal as your connection may time out and it is not possible to save this document online for future use.
Closing date: 13/02/2023
Interview date: TBC
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please assume you were unsuccessful on this occasion. Please note that we reserve the right to close this post early, should we receive a high volume of applications.
We are committed to providing equality of opportunity and valuing diversity for all current and prospective staff, volunteers and Trustees. We aim to ensure that this commitment, reinforced by our values, is embedded in our day-to-day working practices and our work together. We would particularly welcome applications from black and minority ethnic and disabled candidates, who are currently under-represented at Battersea.
Working at Battersea
Please note that all offers of employment require:
• References deemed satisfactory by Battersea
• Proof of eligibility to work in the UK
We have dogs from our kennels in our offices whilst they are waiting for a new home, so this means that staff can’t bring their own dogs with them to work.
During the Coronavirus restrictions, our animal-facing staff continued to work on site and our office based staff worked from home. We are currently operating a hybrid working model with our office-based staff splitting their time between site based and home working. We believe this will support office-based staff to maintain the benefits of home working, while allowing for collaboration and interaction with our animal-facing staff and maintaining a connection to our cause.
As such, you’ll be expected to work in our Battersea office for at least 50% of your working week.
The information you provide in your application will be used by Battersea Dogs and Cats Home (Battersea) to assess your suitability for the role you have applied for. We will not use your personal data for marketing or fundraising purposes (unless you have previously supported Battersea) and will not share your data with any third parties for their marketing purposes. We will also ask you for sensitive information (such as information relating to ethnicity or sexual orientation), but only to allow Battersea to monitor and report on diversity and equality of opportunities. The provision of this information is entirely voluntary and will not be used in determining whether you are shortlisted for the role you have applied for.
Further information about how we protect and use your personal data is set out in our Job Applicant Privacy Notice or contact our Data Protection office at DataProtection@battersea.org.uk
Dept/Team: Propositions Manager, Marketing and Communications Department
Hours: 35 hours per week
Duration: Up to 12-month fixed term contract
Responsible To: Creative Lead
Responsible For: Copywriter
Works With/Key Contacts:
Marketing and Communications
External agencies and suppliers
Salary & Grade:
Salary: £43,450 Per Annum
Battersea’s approach to diversity
Battersea is here for every dog and cat and has been since 1860. We care for animals unconditionally, and we do not judge the owners of pets that need our help. It is this commitment which brings us together as an organisation, and we take great joy and pride in that.
We were founded by a female pioneer, Mary Tealby, who was unafraid to confront convention at a time when women leaders were rare, and animals were not universally loved. Her willingness to challenge the status quo is part of the legacy she leaves with us today, and we celebrate the impact we have made so far because of her vision.
We are ambitious to do more, including helping new populations of animals in new places beyond our centres; and we know we must adapt to the evolving world around us, harnessing the skills, experience and creative thinking of a diverse workforce to help greater numbers of animals and deliver the impact we all aspire to. And we know that an inclusive environment, where we welcome different perspectives and where staff and volunteers are empowered to be themselves, will ensure we continue to thrive.
We strive to create lasting change for animals and the people that care for them and believe that creating a truly diverse and inclusive Battersea, which is proudly open to all, will be essential in our mission to deliver greater impact for dogs and cats everywhere.
Why the role exists
To bring the Battersea brand to life by creating, developing and implementing the use of compelling propositions, succinct key messages and engaging copy to achieve organisation-wide objectives.
What you’ll be doing Approx % of time
- Develop and implement propositions and key messages to drive greater engagement with the brand. 40% of your time.
- Modification of own and others copy to meet requirements, ensuring copy for high-level, priority projects is accurate, insight-driven, compliant and consistent. 20% of your time.
- Line management of Copywriter. Offering guidance and support and ensuring they’re able to meet their agreed objectives.10% of your time.
- Work with Design and Content Managers and Creative Lead to develop and pitch new concepts to a wide range of stakeholders across the organisation.
- 10% of your time.
- Be a Battersea brand guardian. Develop, edit, maintain and creatively share guidelines and toolkits for brand campaigns and key strategic projects.
- 10% of your time.
- Manage external freelance resource and team budget. 5% of your time.
- Keep up to date with trends in copywriting and new developments in digital communications, content marketing and social media. 5% of your time.
The above job description is intended to be an outline of the duties and responsibilities for this role. Job descriptions change over time, and we will discuss with you and ask you to carry out work relevant to your role.
What you’ll need to have to do the job
Ability to drive brand affinity through the development of high-quality, insight-led copy including clear propositions, key messages and call to action for different audiences.
Fresh creative ideas and an ability to write compelling copy to implement the brand marketing strategy for Battersea, increase brand awareness and achieve Marketing and organisation-wide objectives.
Line management experience.
Ability to support the Creative Lead in the development of the creative strategy, ensuring the delivery of best-in-class work.
Strong communication, interpersonal and consultative skills, and the proven ability to build relationships and work constructively and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels to aid the smooth delivery of strategic projects.
CARE – We care wholeheartedly about our mission to be here for every dog and cat, and the work we each do to achieve this.
EXPERTISE – We are experts at what we do, focusing on continual improvement, learning and growing our expertise, so we can all be the best we can be.
DETERMINATION –We stay focused and solve problems to achieve our goals and our mission to be here for every cat and dog.
RESPECT – We treat one another with respect, just as we treat every cat and dog with respect.
INCLUSION – We champion diversity in all its forms, so that everyone can be themselves and feel valued and included.
COLLABORATION – We understand that by working together across teams and with our partners, we achieve more for dogs and cats.
What we’d like you to have to do the job
• Experienced and confident with a proven track record in developing, implementing and evaluating compelling brand and campaign propositions to create shifts in the awareness, engagement or income generating capacity of an organisation.
• Ability to work across a wide range of strategic projects and juggle conflicting priorities.
• Significant experience of delivering intelligent, creative, insight-driven copy for a variety of media and formats (print, banner ads, SEO web content, blog posts, social media messages, emails) using a multi-channel approach.
• An ability to analyse and interpret research to develop copy rooted in insight.
• Proven experience of distilling key strategic projects or high-level information into understandable and shareable principles and communicating them with stakeholders at all levels.
• Proven experience in developing and maintaining a clear and consistent brand voice.
• Line management experience.
• Experience coaching colleagues on copywriting, tone of voice and key messages.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Able to promote an understanding of, and a commitment to, the vision, mission and values of Battersea.
• Data protection
• Brand reputation
• Budget management
• Management of external freelance resource
• Line management
• Not for profit experience
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert