ROYAL UNITED SERVICES INSTITUTE
Job description: Marketing Manager
Reports to: Director of Communications and Marketing
Department: Communications and Marketing
Salary range: £35,000-£42,000 per annum depending on skills and experience
Location: Hybrid (Home/London Office)
Contract: Full time, Permanent
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the world’s oldest and the UK’s leading defence and security think tank. Its mission is to inform, influence and enhance public debate on a safer and more stable world. RUSI is a research-led institute, producing independent, practical and innovative analysis to address today’s complex challenges.
Main purpose of the post
RUSI is seeking a Marketing Manager to lead the Institute’s branding and marketing efforts. We are looking for a versatile marketeer who will enable us to reach new audiences and increase the effectiveness of our communications with existing stakeholders.
The postholder will be responsible for managing RUSI’s brand, building and maintaining a strong and consistent presence across a wide range of online and offline marketing channels.
The Marketing Manager will have a good grasp of all aspects of marketing with an emphasis on digital and email marketing. We are seeking someone comfortable in taking a data led approach to enhance our marketing efforts.
Being part of a small communications team, he/she will need to be practical and a hands-on manager to contribute at all levels of the organisation. The Marketing Manager will be line-managed by the Director of Communications & Marketing.
- Develop a marketing strategy, aligned to the overall communications strategy, to meet RUSI’s strategic objectives.
- Drive a data led approach to marketing and communications within RUSI Manage marketing campaigns and tasks for all products and services both online and offline. This involves working with our research, publications, fundraising, membership and events teams.
- Be responsible for day-to-day management of email marketing, including copywriting, templates and distribution.
- Drive a more strategic approach to email marketing with better targeting and segmentation of contacts through our CRM system.
- Maintain and develop brand guidelines, ensuring a strong and coherent brand is implemented and promoted across all our channels.
- Develop and approve marketing and other communications material, working with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite and in collaboration with external agencies.
- Maintain and further develop the relationships we have with external agencies.
- Promote membership and events/conferences to meet income-generation objectives.
- Any other related tasks as requested by the line manager.
The above list of duties is not exhaustive. The post holder will be required to undertake such duties that may reasonably be expected within the scope and grade of the role
We expect all staff to abide by and promote our RUSI’s Vision and Values https://rusi.org/content/values and Equal Opportunities Statement.
Essential skills and experience
- Existing experience working in marketing, including email marketing.
- Creative approach and able to think laterally and imaginatively.
- An eye for good corporate design.
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in online marketing and measurement.
- An excellent understanding of all major marketing tactics and opportunities including email, PPC, Social, Display and retargeting.
- Excellent influencing skills, able to introduce new ways of working and innovative approaches. Skilled at building relationships with senior partners and colleagues.
- Excellent organisational skills, verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
- Significant project management, multi-tasking, and decision-making skills.
- CIM Qualified (or equivalent) or part-qualified.
- Understanding and experience of Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Hands-on experience of campaign management and delivering large scale, multi-channel campaigns.
- 25 days annual leave (rising with service). Additional days off during Christmas - RUSI Christmas closure days. Generous pension contributions at 6% employer contribution. Access to 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme. Life Assurance (after successful completion of probationary period). Season ticket loan (after successful completion of probationary period). Rental deposit scheme (after successful completion of probationary period). Free access to RUSI's world leading programme of events and conferences, research materials and library.
Equal Opportunity and Values
At RUSI you will be appreciated and valued. Our stakeholders, transactions, and projects are international and diverse, so we work hard to create inclusive teams that support our efforts and each other. We are committed in promoting equality and diversity in our workforce and employment practices and take reasonable steps not to unfairly discriminate in any way in our recruitment practices. We therefore encourage you to apply regardless of your socio-economic background, ethnicity, sexual preference, gender, or physical disability.
To apply, please click Job Openings (peoplehr.net) and follow the instructions. You will be asked to include:
A Cover letter of no more than one page explaining your interest in the role any significant experience or skills.
Closing date: 28 July 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the closing date brought forward if needed. Early application is encouraged.