You will be at the forefront of the department's busy news agenda - briefing journalists, responding to media enquiries, and ensuring that the organisation is reflected in national, regional, and legal media coverage.
We are looking for an experienced senior press officer with some public sector press office experience. You will need to have a strong news sense, ability to see the bigger picture and a proven ability to provide media handling advice under pressure. The role requires someone with the following skills and experience:
* Strong media handling skills - you must be confident briefing journalists over the phone.
* Good influencing skills: you will work on some of the day's top stories and you'll need to be able to influence across internal teams and across Whitehall to secure opportunities and organisational objectives.
* Ability to digest complex information and turn it in to accessible, concise copy.
* An ability to prioritise effectively, work under pressure and be a strong team player.
Your job in the Communications Team will include:
* Advising officials and Ministers on a range of communications issues including high-profile Unduly Lenient Sentence cases (recent cases include the sentences given to Baby Arthur and Star Hobson's killers).
* Creating and implementing proactive media strategies, including organising and attending interviews and visits to support Ministerial priorities.
* Working with colleagues to create content for social media which promotes the work of the Attorney and Solicitor General including videos (training will be provided)
* Aligning communication objectives to organisational objectives, ensuring all communication plans and activities directly underpin delivery of the Attorney General's work.
The successful candidate will be expected to participate in the out of hours duty rota, for which an allowance is paid.
* The role offers a very high level of access to Ministers and senior figures including the Director General. Working closely with the Head of Communications.
* The successful candidate will be responsible for briefing Ministers and senior leaders on emerging media issues and our response.
* The portfolio touches on the highest profile and sensitive legal and criminal justice issues in the UK today.
* The successful candidate will be responsible for crafting cross-government communications and liaising with stakeholders across Whitehall including No.10 (Downing Street), the Home Office and Ministry of Justice.
* The wider Communications Team is a small, fast-paced, multidisciplinary team advising on and delivering all aspects of departmental communications.
* The post holder will take an active role in overseeing, promoting, or defending their work, working alongside the press offices of those organisations.
* The Press Office also directly provides a press office service to two of the Law Officers' Departments - the Government Legal Department (GLD) and Her Majesty's Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate (HMCPSI) under a shared service arrangement.
If this role is of interest, please do apply ASAP with an up-to-date word version of your CV. Please do get in contact if you have any queries