Overall purpose of the role:
This is an exciting opportunity to join the charity’s busy Marketing and Communications Team. As Communications Officer you will play an essential part in all our wide ranging communications activities; from our award-winning podcast, website and social media channels, to our members’ magazine and exhibition attendance.
We are looking for a creative individual, with a flair for writing for both on and offline channels. You’ll possess an inherent understanding of how to engage people across all platforms and a desire to inspire people to adopt organic and sustainable growing practices.
You will be organised, work to deadlines and be a stickler for accuracy and consistency in messaging and advice across all content.
As one of the voices of our organisation, you will play a pivotal role in sharing our 60+ years of organic growing knowledge and information in an inspiring and engaging way.
- Podcast - Plan and produce The Organic Gardening Podcast, briefing colleagues/presenters on topics/themes, editing the podcast ready for distribution and providing quotes and content to promote each episode.
- Social media – Plan and execute the charity’s social media activity, including creating and sharing posts, engaging with followers and supporters, reporting on engagement and identifying ways to build our audience and engagement.
- Public relations – Working with our PR agency to plan, create and distribute proactive press releases and articles, responding to any ad hoc enquiries, keeping track of any coverage and informing key colleagues of any issues or opportunities on the horizon.
- Website – Support the Website Project Manager in the development of content for the new Garden Organic website, and lead in the ongoing creation of content optimized for search engines.
- Copywriting & editing – Identifying, producing and sharing stories and information on the charity’s impact, through our community projects, research work, seed conservation, organic horticultural education, campaigning and more.
- The Organic Way members’ magazine – Working with the external publishing house and editor, plus in-house colleagues, support in the creation and production of The Organic Way magazine.
- Campaigning - Contributing to Garden Organic’s campaigning activity, leading on translating and sharing complex environmental and horticultural issues for general gardeners.
- Internal engagement and communications - Liaise with teams across the organisation to keep colleagues up to date with communications activities and identify ways to share information across different stakeholder groups.
- Videos and photos – supporting in the productions and dissemination of videos, photos and any other digital assets. Managing the charity’s digital assets, including implementing and managing a new digital asset management system.
It is the nature of work at Garden Organic that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. All employees are expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises where tasks are not specifically covered in the Job Description and have to be undertaken. Some evening, weekend and bank holiday working will be required on a regular rotational basis.
Knowledge, skills & experience
Excellent copywriting, both off and online, with high attention to detail
Excellent written and spoken English
Understanding of writing for different audiences
Passionate about gardening and organic practices
Experience of producing and editing a podcast, using Audacity software
Excellent time management and ability to meet conflicting deadlines
Social media, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and TikTok
Search engine optimisation
Good interpersonal skills, working with a broad range of people
Willing to travel to events