FURTHER SPACE is a Glamping Business and provides outdoor holiday experiences, through luxury design-led pod accommodation in hand-picked locations.
The Company manufactures all their own pods under its brand Intupod and intends to deploy at least 500+ accommodation pods across the UK and Ireland by March 2025, creating partnerships with more than 100 landowners.
FURTHER.SPACE has taken an innovative approach to the market – partnering with landowners to position 4 to 6 pods on their land to diversify their core business and generate additional income. Holidaymakers have the opportunity to enjoy stunning locations they wouldn’t otherwise be able to access.
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the COO the Marketing Director will hold a board seat and will oversee and direct all aspects of the Marketing function. Responsibilities will include overseeing the planning and development of marketing strategy and budget that impact the brand and communication within the business, incorporating top level Customer Experience Management.
You will manage a small Marketing team, liaising with the Customer Reservations team, the Host partners and support the Business Development team working on multiple campaigns in various locations.
Upcoming projects include the procurement of an ad agency, new B2C website, exploring the development of a bespoke booking system and the creation of an application designed to improve our customer experience.
This a real opportunity to join a scaling business with opportunity for grow, both in a personal and professional capacity. FURTHER SPACE is a dedicated team, with a great culture, that embraces and supports partnerships, sustainable development, and rural entrepreneurism.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supporting the company in the overall development of the FURTHER.SPACE brand and customer experience.
- Support tourism initiatives, partner relationships, research, and data analysis.
- Maintaining a positive, empathetic, and professional attitude towards the customer experience.
- Strategic development of the marketing functions including both B2C and B2B.
- End to end campaign management from planning, creative development, and co-ordination of activity to ensure effective implementation of our campaign plans.
- Campaign monitoring and tracking of effectiveness against business objectives
- Procurement and management of agencies on a day-to-day basis including design, advertising, web and digital etc…with a focus on enhancing our digital footprint (primarily shop front website)
- Managing the FURTHER SPACE brand reputation.
- Liaising with our Partner hosts regarding marketing activities.
- Liaising with the Business Development Team on B2B planning and activities.
- Actively researching and securing financial support to assist with marketing activities.
The Customer Experience
- Collaborate with our Customer Reservation Manager to align marketing and business objectives.
- Strong focus on customer insights, professional standards and results that contribute directly to the business values and customer experience.
- Work with the reservations team to provide exceptional customer satisfaction and customer care.
- Collaborate on efficiencies and improvements with the Customer Reservations team, as part of our brand experience delivery - primarily the evolution of our digital formats
- Reviewing occupancy and revenue generation with the team
Financial & Reporting
- Prepare and mange a budget and report against budget, developing procedures that track, report on, and control the running of the department.
- Prepare clear and concise reports on occupancy and average nightly rates in collaboration with the Finance Department and reservations team. This will include tracking all our locations against targets and taking the appropriate action to achieve maximum occupancy and revenues across the portfolio.
- You will be responsible for a small marketing team to begin with. This will include developing your team as it grows.
- Performance and operational management working across multiple campaigns.
- Inspiring, motivating and supporting your team so that they are thinking and acting at their best, delivering high quality work, working as an effective team, and meeting organisational and individual objectives.
- Support the professional development of the team to continuously develop skills and expertise and support career development aspirations. FURTHER SPACE uses Lattice.
- Coordinate (and in some cases manage) the work of external consultants and identify new consultants as the business grows.
- Contribute to the overall development of FURTHER SPACE strategies and plans
- Ensure the values of participation, partnership, cost effectiveness, transparency and accountability are reflected in your work.
- Any other responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time.
This post may require travel within the UK and ROI. There is also an expectation of occasional ‘out of hours’ travel to external/internal events.
- Proven ability to develop comprehensive marketing plans and strategic direction for a business
- Highly effective planning, organisational and project management skills.
- Proven experience in developing, managing, and leading a marketing team.
- Educated to Degree Level in a related field and preferably CIM qualified.
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in a Marketing Manager/Director management role
- Motivated, creative, and commercially aware.
- Proficient use of all Microsoft applications.
- Experience working with agency partners and the development and implementation of new systems
- Strong understanding of revenue management and pricing strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on being a good listener.
- Clean driving license.
- Experience in scaling a business
- Working knowledge of Tourism or retail sector
- Experience of dealing directly with Customers
Please read the next section carefully - The next section will form the roles key KPI's for the first 3 years. You will be asked to demonstrate how you meet the competencies listed below.
Mission for Sales & Marketing Director:
Develop a Marketing plan that delivers the corporate goal of 100 partner sites across the UK and Ireland; supporting growth in existing locations and launching new locations to exceed our base case occupancy and revenues across the FURTHER SPACE portfolio.
- Landowner procurement: Deliver 30 landowner partnership enquiries per month in support of the Business development team
- New locations: Achieve a 60% occupancy at £120 per night in the first rolling year.
- Existing Locations: Grow occupancy percentage by 5% year on year in the first 3 years.
- Social Channels: Grow social media presence by 50% year on year in the first 3 years.
- Team: Create a multi-disciplinary marketing team using a blend of in-house and out-sourced talent to execute the Marketing plan and evaluate performance.
- Create and drive brand value and awareness and market penetration by establishing a benchmark and a mechanism to measure these KPI’s across various jurisdictions.
FURTHER SPACE is a fast-paced business. We share our challenges and work as a team to find solutions. We trust our people to do their jobs, encourage creativity and celebrate success. FURTHER SPACE is an environment where everyone is valued, where opinions are openly expressed and listened to.
- Efficiency - Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Honesty/integrity - Does not cut corners, behaves ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Organisation and planning - Plans, organises, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Uncompromising on delivery- Moves quickly and takes a forceful stand without being overly abrasive.
- Follow-through on commitments - Lives up to verbal and written agreements.
- Intelligence - Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Analytical skills - Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
- Attention to detail - Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Persistence - Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Proactivity - Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
- Ability to source, select, and inspire talent to join a company.
- Ability to develop people - Coaches people in their current roles to improve performance and prepares them for future roles.
- Flexibility/adaptability - Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Calm under pressure - Maintains stable performance when under heavy pressure or Stress.
- Strategic thinking/visioning - Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Creativity/innovation - Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Enthusiasm - Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
- Work ethic - Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Has a track record of working hard.
- High standards - Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Listening skills - Let’s others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints.
- Openness to criticism and ideas - Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including e-mail.
- Teamwork - Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Persuasion - Able to convince others to pursue a course of action.