Communications Officer - Local Gov - Remote working - contract until end of March 2022
I am proud to be working in partnership with a local authority who are looking to appoint a Communications Officer to join their team on a 6 month FTC until end of March 2022. This is a remote working role.
As the Communications Officer you will deliver communications activity for the council with the overall aim of achieving high quality, responsive and proactive internal and external communication. Ensure fair and accurate media coverage through local and national journalists. Act a point of contact for any media enquiries. Developing high quality written and graphical content for use across the Council's channels appropriate to a variety of audiences.
* To provide advice and support to authorised officers and councillors in their dealings with the media to ensure appropriate representation of the Council and the issue being presented.
* To make arrangements for communications and PR interaction with the media, including arranging interviews and photo calls for council members and officers; undertake research and producing any necessary background information.
* To develop and deliver a communications plan for specific projects and activities to help promote, market, and communicate events and programmes; provide creative, editorial and operational support for communication projects.
* To respond to media enquiries, draft and release press releases such that the Council delivers proactive communication to stakeholders. Build positive relations with external contacts, including leading journalists/media to ensure fair and accurate local coverage.
* To support the Council's social media presence. Explore and advise on new opportunities as they arise and lead on this to maximise opportunities for community engagement.
* To monitor media coverage and undertake social media evaluation relating to the Council and advise on appropriate responses.
* To act as a corporate brand guardian, seeking to maintain the consistent development and application of the Council's branding to maximise reputation for the organisation.
* Day-to-day management of the key communication messages through the corporate website, including updating and ongoing monitoring, gaining input from other people within the council as necessary.
* To develop graphical content for a variety of audiences for use across print and digital channels.
* To provide communications' advice and guidance on the design and production of marketing/advertising materials and approaches to ensure consistent and effective application of the Council's profile, brand and reputation.
* To develop material for media/marketing responses or campaign through research, interview, analysis and photography/video techniques in a creative and informative way for the audience/recipient.
* To respect the confidential nature of the work and protect personal information in accordance with data protection regulations and policies in place.
* To act in accordance with the principles set out in the Employee Code of Conduct and the Council's Values, recognising the duty of all public sector employees to discharge public functions reasonably and according to the law.
You will be qualified to degree / level 5 standard
Experience and skills:
* Previous experience in a communications team or similar environment, producing media content, leaflets or other information material and messages
* Website development and management.
* Experience of using social media in relation to communications
* Experience of writing press releases, internal and external communications
* Graphic design experience
* Knowledge and understanding of the public sector / local government and a high level of written and oral communication skills The ability to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and deliver to strict deadlines
* Able to see 'the big picture' and how the work of the Communications team supports the Council's objectives, its priorities and campaigns Innovative and prepared to look at new ideas Ability to work to tight time scams and under pressure
* Ability to use graphic design software
* Ability to develop messages and campaigns for diverse audiences
* Able to accurately proofread copy and pick up on errors
* Ability to deconstruct and re-write other peoples' copy, and to explain why changes have been made
* Demonstrable commitment to customer care Political sensitivity with the ability to work with Elected Members, other politicians and officers at all levels
Please apply now with your up to date CV or contact me for an informal discussion on M: 07595968599