We are Nesta, the UK’s innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale solutions to society’s biggest problems. Our three missions are to give every child a fair start, help people live healthy lives, and create a sustainable future where the economy works for both people and the planet.
For over 20 years, we have worked to support, encourage and inspire innovation. We work in three roles: as an innovation partner working with frontline organisations to design and test new solutions, as a venture builder supporting new and early stage businesses, and as a system shaper creating the conditions for innovation.
Harnessing the rigour of science and the creativity of design, we work relentlessly to change millions of lives for the better. Find out more at nesta.org.uk
How will a Marketing Communications Manager contribute to Nesta’s success?
Our new strategy will require us to connect and engage a range of specialist audience groups, many of whom have little previous knowledge of us. You will play a key role in implementing the strategy by helping to position us with the audiences we need to reach. This is an opportunity for someone with ambition, vision and energy to deliver a step change in our marketing communications.
This is a new role, in a new team, within a changing and ambitious organisation. Creative thinking and a willingness to try and experiment with new approaches are essential. Initially you’ll transform our owned channels (including social media, events marketing and a high volume newsletter) to better serve our mission objectives. As we progress, you’ll also develop our marketing capacity in new areas to help us reach our audiences, using tactics including paid social, partnership marketing, and targeted campaigns.
You’ll be an excellent writer with an eye for a headline - able to write a punchy Medium post, a pithy tweet, and engaging copy for events. Crucially you’ll always be curious about learning more about our core audiences; what makes them tick, how we can reach them, and what they need from us. You’ll be a thinker and a doer - the role blends strategy and tactical delivery. You’ll plan and deliver creative marketing approaches to reach target audiences that could range from early years professionals to boiler installers to local authorities.
You’ll belong to a friendly, collaborative, and experimental Audiences team - working together with colleagues across the organisation to scale up solutions to some of society's biggest social problems.
- Design and deliver tactical solutions to reaching and engaging with audiences essential to our missions (e.g. early years practitioners, heating technicians)
- Lead on understanding our audiences, with the capability to turn insight and research into targeted communications and marketing activity
- Reform and deliver a new approach to social media communication with an evidence-based focus on reaching new audiences related to our three mission.
- Design and lead an events marketing strategy to help us position Nesta as a key player among target audiences including practitioners, influencers, decision makers, practitioners and journalists
- Refresh and lead on the Nesta newsletter, with a focus on engaging our existing audience and ramping up subscriptions among our target audience groups
- Work with colleagues across the organisation to increase Nesta’s engagement with existing brand level audiences, reach new audiences and increase the diversity of the audiences we engage with
- Mentor and coordinate the activities of junior colleagues, providing clear guidance, support, and development
- Senior communications marketing professional with extensive experience of B2B marketing and a track record of creative, tactical marketing campaigns across a range of channels
- Strong track record of using owned channels, newsletters, and cost effective tactical marketing techniques to drive interest and participation in brand level and stakeholder activities
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of using tactics and techniques of marketing, including partnership marketing, influencer marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, and email marketing
- Experience of telling complex stories in a visual and creative way through social media
- Strong track record of drafting engaging and effective copy
- Knowledge and experience of SEO and PPC would be an advantage
As with all members of Nesta’s communications team, the postholder will also have:
- Proven interest in at least one of Nesta’s Mission areas, and in social innovation more broadly
- High standards of written and verbal communications skills, with the ability to write and edit content for a range of audiences
- Impeccable grammar and proofreading skills
- Proven ability to create simple digital content assets and to upload content to a website via a CMS
As with all members of Nesta’s communications team, the postholder will also:
- Be an adept and nimble multitasker who relishes being busy, keeping multiple plates spinning, is highly organised and can manage conflicting demands
- Have strong networking and relationship building skills
- Have a positive and can do attitude, able to adapt to changing circumstances with flexibility and good humour, and to work well under pressure
What we offer
Benefits, including health cash plans, dental insurance, the ability to buy and sell annual leave, eyecare vouchers and more. This role is based in Blackfriars, Central London, but we offer flexibility for our people to work remotely. This is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them. Many do.
Making an application
To apply for this role, please visit our website. Submit your application before 8:00am on the 23rd of August 2021.
Interviews will take place w/c the 30th of August 2021.
At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.