Role description: Markshall Estate has begun to deliver a new organisational growth strategy (2020-25) with a focus on environmental sustainability, public engagement, and education. The Charity celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2021 which will be a crucial stage in our development, and a busy public programme is planned.
Following the successful launch of a rebrand and new website in March 2021, and at the start of a year-long market research programme, this new role will work very closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager to support the delivery of the marketing strategy and marketing plans, to increase visitor numbers, and raise the profile of the Estate and its activities. This will include working across a range of exciting projects such as the launch of the Markshall Estate Cycle Path Project, and the opening of the new shop and Plant Centre.
The Marketing Team sit at the heart of the organisation. You'll create imaginative digital content and manage digital marketing campaigns across social media, inspire colleagues to get involved, and reach out to engage new and existing audiences. You'll tell our story, publicise our future projects, and motivate people to support the charity. You'll use research and insights to make decisions and provide data-driven recommendations to the Marketing and Communications Manager. You will also ensure we present a consistent and coherent brand proposition both internally and across all of our public facing activities and touchpoints.
A self-starter who shows initiative, with lots of energy and a positive outlook, the Marketing Assistant will be able to balance a busy workload, be hands-on across a range of tasks as needed, and be a quick thinker who can respond to changing situations.
This is a great step up for someone with some experience of marketing, ideally in the charity, tourism, or heritage sectors. Highly organised with good attention to detail, you’ll be self-motivated but also highly collaborative in your approach to work. In return we will provide you with the opportunity to work and grow as part of a dynamic team and working environment.
Key result areas: External Communications
- Develop and deliver creative social media campaigns, liaising internally with key colleagues.
- Maintain and build Markshall Estate's social media presence.
- Assist in maintaining the Markshall Estate website including reviewing, editing, uploading, and updating content on a timely basis.
- Coordinate and deliver email communications using DotDigital.
- Assist in creating and delivering marketing plans for key projects, to include a series of agreed key performance indicators, in line with the Marketing Strategy and business plan to increase visitor numbers to Markshall Estate, and optimise visitor spend.
- Assist with PR activity including organising and hosting press visits, film, photography enquiries.
Internal Communications, brand identity and core values
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to communicate the vision and development of Markshall Estate, finding ways to engage audiences and encourage public/stakeholder interaction.
- Assist in ensuring brand consistency is adopted across the organisation, by partners and suppliers, educating on brand guidelines and keeping all staff up to date on any changes.
- Assist with internal communications, and coordinate and deliver Volunteer newsletters using DotDigital.
Insights and market research
- Measure and report on the performance of our digital presence, suggesting and implementing measures for continual improvement.
- Regularly attend industry webinars and conferences, identify marketing trends, and evaluate emerging technologies wherever possible.
- Regularly attend DMO and partner meetings, develop and nurture existing and new relationships to ensure a high profile locally, nationally, and internationally e.g., Eco Attractions Group, RHS, Visit Essex.
Stakeholder Relationships and personal development
- Work with the wider team to identify content opportunities and produce the relevant materials e.g., blogs, social media posts, videos etc.
- Participate in and contribute to departmental brainstorming and ideation sessions.
- Participate in training and development activities for professional/personal growth.
- Support the Marketing and Communications Team in all aspects of the team’s work as required.
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times.
- Deliver on agreed personal objectives in line with organisational goals and objectives.
- Manage time and workload effectively, take responsibility for all aspects of your work.
- Build strong relationships across the organisation with staff and volunteers, promoting a culture of excellence, professionalism, and consistent communication.
- Work within terms and conditions of employment, adhere to the Charity’s policies and procedures.
- Undertake evening/ weekend work as needed; plan, communicate time in lieu with line manager.
- Demonstrate awareness of equal opportunities for all and a deep understanding of diversity and social inclusion through your work and communications. A broad interest in the long-term success and development of Markshall Estate.
Knowledge and Experience: Essential
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject/or CIM qualification/or equivalent experience.
- 1 - 3 years' experience in a marketing role
- Experience of social media and digital marketing, and good knowledge of website and social media best practice in digital marketing and measurement
- High proficiency in spoken and written English, with ability to tailor content to different audiences
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, proactively manage competing priorities and deliver at pace.
- Flexibility and adaptability, with experience in collaborative environments.
- Competent use of standard Microsoft Office programmes including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Adobe creative suite applications, DotDigital, WordPress/CMS.
- Experience of working with graphic designers, printers, and advertisers.
- Skills in photography and video editing.
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Proven experience of delivering successful integrated marketing campaigns from concept to execution.
- Experience in the charity, tourism, or heritage sectors.