THE ALAN TURING INSTITUTE
The Alan Turing Institute is the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence whose mission is to make great leaps in data science and artificial intelligence research in order to change the world for the better.
The Institute’s Communications and Engagement Directorate is at the heart of the Turing’s work to lead the public conversation on data science and AI. Building effective marketing campaigns is crucial to the growth of our brand and our ability to reach and engage with a diverse range of audiences.
Working closely with the Head of Communications and Marketing, the Marketing Manager will be responsible for expanding and enhancing the public profile of The Alan Turing Institute through effective campaigns, impactful marketing strategies and insightful audience analysis. The post holder will ensure all campaigns align with the strategic aims and brand values of the Institute and are delivered in a cohesive way in line with the Turing tone of voice.
This role requires sharp editing and writing skills, the ability to tailor content and messaging across media, academia, reaching the wider research community, public and industry audiences, with energy and enthusiasm for the Institute’s mission: advancing the world-changing potential of data science and AI.
DUTIES AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Devising imaginative and effective marketing campaigns and promotions with clear measurable impact
- Creating targeted communications and marketing campaigns for The Alan Turing Institute across a broad range of audiences and channels
- Overseeing the development, delivery and tracking of digital campaigns and actions arising from them
- Strategic and analytical thinking, leading to clearly deployed marketing campaigns
- Managing multi – channel marketing and social media campaigns
- Delivering campaigns based on evidence and proven tactics for audience engagement
- Presenting audience and marketing insights – sharing those insights across the Institute with senior leaders in the business team and academics
- Managing and contributing to the creation of brand-consistent collateral and content
- Critical thinking, awareness of new marketing techniques and a willingness to innovate in an appropriate and thoughtful way
- Working closely with academics, our partners and collaborators on these campaigns
- Design and deliver marketing campaigns in support of our flagship events such as The Turing Lecture series
- Lead marketing and promotional activity to support the Turing’s events, training and doctoral recruitment programme
- Planning and coordinating the Institute’s social media output – ensuring our communications are timely and consistent with current priorities
- Ensure our marketing activities exploit real-time cultural moments, milestones and landmarks through linked campaigns and carefully timed content
- Building The Alan Turing Institute’s audience reach and impact through on and offline marketing activities
- Creative copywriting, proofreading and editing skills
- Expanding The Alan Turing Institute network and contacts into the data science and AI community through communications and public engagement activities
- Ensure the Institute’s flagship marketing campaigns are innovative and creative and built on evidence and audience analysis
- Ensure that the Institute’s marketing approach is inclusive (reflecting our values) and seeks to attract new and diverse audiences
- Briefing design companies and other third parties to develop materials
- Creating timely content for the Institute’s website
- Editing design work for digital materials using InDesign or other similar programmes
- Supporting the Institute’s day-to-day communications and partnership activities
- Management of budgets will be required for event marketing and specific social media campaigns
- Evidence of marketing qualifications including The Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Evidence of a commitment to continued learning in marketing or, and digital marketing
- Demonstrable experience of working in a marketing and/or communications role in the private or public sector
- Strong event marketing experience, ability to drive engagement and participation
- Experience of developing, implementing and measuring the success of marketing and communications campaigns
- Experience of social media scheduling
- Experience of writing newsletters and managing databases
- Experience of working in a research or academic environment, cultivating positive relationships with the academic community and senior leaders
- Experience of working with strategic partners, sponsors and managing third party relationships
- Experience of managing staff, freelancers, photographers or contractors
- Experience of working well under pressure, prioritising and working to tight deadlines
- Routinely explains specialist procedures clearly by explaining technical terms used in own area of work. Adapts the style of communication to the audience and ensures understanding.
- Undertakes active collaboration with a range of contacts to pursue a shared interest and promotes a positive image of the Institute.
- Sets up and uses an internal network (physical or virtual) to share information and feedback
- Manages time and resources effectively; routinely monitoring and reviewing progress to ensure effective working of self and others.
- Proactive approach to managing stakeholders and identifying opportunities for collaboration
- Adapts services and systems to meet business needs and identifies ways of improving standards. Learns from complaints and takes action to resolve them.
- Accurate and up to date knowledge of Marketing/Communication methods/trends in a research or an academic environment with internal and external stakeholders
- Provides stakeholders care to an agreed standard ensuring that the experience of each stakeholder is positive and satisfactory.
- Uses judgement to analyse and solve problems. Takes action to prevent recurrence of problems.
- Considers possible solutions to identify those which offer wider benefits. Obtains evidence to support thinking.
- Independently makes decisions which are low risk are guided by experience and best practice
- Makes collaborative decisions with line management or others on operational processes
- Flexible attitude towards work
- Commitment to EDI principles and to the Organisation values
- Degree in marketing or related field
- Experience of using InDesign/Photoshop or other design software
- Experience of audience analysis and development
- Experience of managing paid for advertising campaigns on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please click the apply button below. You will need to register on the applicant portal and complete the application form including your CV, covering letter and contact details for your referees. If you have questions about the role or would like to apply using a different format, please contact them on 0203 862 3340, or email email@example.com.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 21st April 2021 at 23:59.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This full time post is offered on a permanent basis. The annual salary is £35,000-40,000 plus excellent benefits, including flexible working and family friendly policies, https://www.turing.ac.uk/work-turing/why-work-turing/employee-benefits
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The Alan Turing Institute is committed to creating an environment where diversity is valued and everyone is treated fairly. In accordance with the Equality Act, we welcome applications from anyone who meets the specific criteria of the post regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Reasonable adjustments to the interview process will be made for any candidates with a disability.
Please note all offers of employment are subject to obtaining and retaining the right to work in the UK and satisfactory pre-employment security screening which includes a DBS Check.
Full details on the pre-employment screening process can be requested from HR@turing.ac.uk.