Customer Insight Consultant
Customer Insight Consultant
Bloomsbury Street, London
From £45,650 p.a. (more may be available for exceptional candidates) plus generous benefits
Sport England wants everyone in England regardless of age, background or level of ability to feel able to engage in sport and physical activity. Some will be young, fit and talented, but most will not. We need a sector that welcomes everyone – meets their needs, treats them as individuals and values them as customers.
That’s a big challenge we’ve set ourselves and to do this, we know we need exceptional research and insight. We’re already having some success – we won an AURA Insight Impact award for the work we did shaping our ‘This Girl Can’ campaign.
But resting on our laurels won’t help us achieve our vision. We’re a growing Insight team who want to continue to develop and challenge ourselves and improve what we do. We want to keep having an impact on colleagues at Sport England and across the sector – ensuring they have great insight at their fingertips and changing the way they think and act.
Operating at the heart of the organisation, the Customer Insight team advises and supports internal and external stakeholders to apply insight to the decisions they make – whether that's designing and managing investments to address gaps in the market or tailoring advice to help partners target new groups of customers.
We are looking for strategic and analytical thinkers who have experience in challenging and influencing decision makers. You are likely to have a background in policy or consultancy and will be able to digest and critically assess large volumes of data, research and information and deliver impactful insight-led recommendations.
We want people who understand research and are familiar with a wide range of methodologies but for whom this is only a starting point. This role is about supporting others to apply insight and become more confident to work in an insight-led manner to deliver our desired outcomes of increasing the number of people who are physically active, addressing stubborn inequalities and maximising social outcomes.
Ideally, you’ll be familiar with the physical activity sector or have experience in tackling similar complex behavioural challenges in society. You’ll be passionate about high quality insight and advocate for the voice of the customer. Bringing others along on the journey to drive evidence-based decision making is key so you’ll be empathetic, adaptable, persuasive and astute in building relationships.
The team’s work is varied, and team members will be involved in a range of different projects. Recent and current examples of the type of projects the successful candidate might work on, include:
- Creating best practice principles of place-based understanding for local partners and supporting their implementation. This included identifying existing models and approaches, developing a customised model, engaging stakeholders, designing and delivering interactive workshops, challenging weaker practices and ongoing support to build colleagues' and partners' confidence to apply the principles in practice.
- Supporting the Health team to scope and agree a partnership with a national health charity. Reviewing and critically assessing the charity's evidence of reach, customer profile, communication and delivery plans against our customer insight to provide recommendations on partnership fit and objectives.
- Establishing an insight network for National Governing Bodies of Sport. Managing different online and offline channels to support the network and encourage collaboration. Regularly presenting Sport England’s latest insights and leading discussions on how these can be applied in the context of different sports.
- Scoping and delivering insight to shape the investment of £10 million of lottery funding into physical activity for families. Working with the Data, Research and Evaluation team to specify research requirements and collaborating with the Children and Young People’s Directorate to build a picture of the current supply and gaps in provision. Distilling a variety of different streams of insight (including data analysis, qualitative and quantitative research and evaluation reports) into evidence-based recommendations for the fund's objectives.
The Customer Insight team sits within the Insight Directorate, which includes two further teams:
- The Data, Research and Evaluation team generates insight and elicits learning from our investments via extensive evaluation, research and analysis capability combined with data analytics
- The Market Insight team provides portfolio level insight to support our Executive Team and Board with strategic thinking and decision making
Sport England actively promotes diversity in employment and sport and welcomes applications from all parts of the community.