Director of Marketing and Communications
Director of Marketing and Communications
Job Description and Role Profile
Report to: Chief Executive
Salary: £55,000, depending on experience
Hours: 35 hours per week
Introduction and Overview:
South Bank Employers’ Group (SBEG) is a membership association of the major and pre-eminent organisations in the South Bank and Waterloo area, dedicated to achieving the best possible experience for employees, residents and visitors. SBEG is a not for profit company, set up in 1991 by a small group of businesses and employers to regenerate and transform South Bank. All members share a vision for South Bank and its future as:
• a desirable destination for culture, business and pleasure
• a place which supports and encourages investment and business growth
• a place with a flourishing and cohesive residential community
• a place which is welcoming to visitors and tourists
• a friendly, clean, colourful, safe, dynamic and diverse area
South Bank is an incredibly dynamic neighbourhood and continues to undergo significant change. With many high-profile development projects underway and more planned, it’s a place that’s continually redefining aspects of urban and neighbourhood management. For over 25 years, SBEG has been at the heart of these changes and remains committed to addressing the future needs of the area. We work to tackle South Bank’s ongoing investment needs, to ensure that our voice and that of our members is heard.
We now seek to appoint a Director of Marketing and Communications to deliver across the full range of our influencing, communications, and marketing priorities and objectives.
We market and promote South Bank as one of the capital’s top destinations and as the cultural heart of London to a range of specific London, national and international audiences, and work closely with those visitor attractions that make the neighbourhood one of the most exciting and culturally rich in the world. Central to our work is South Bank Marketing Group and South Bank Venues: both bring together member organisations to set and drive specific marketing, destination, area promotion, and business development objectives.
SBEG coordinates and delivers vital services in the neighbourhood, including: cleansing and graffiti removal; enforcement against illegal trading and anti-social behaviour; running a comprehensive security and patrol service for businesses and visitors; coordinating construction activity throughout the neighbourhood; and improving the public realm through the coordination and delivery of capital projects. We manage Jubilee Gardens, one of the central London’s most heavily used areas of green space, through a service level agreement with the Jubilee Gardens Trust.
We also provide - through Waterloo Job Shop - employment and skills services that help South Bank employers to recruit residents, and deliver training and employment assistance to those residents in the local area that are looking for work.
SBEG led the establishment of the South Bank Business Improvement District (BID) which has been running since 2014. SBEG manages South Bank BID and delivers a range of services on its behalf. The establishment of the BID has broadened our engagement with local businesses, with approximately 200 businesses paying the BID levy - which collectively supports a range of services and activities across the South Bank. Through a Service Level Agreement, SBEG delivers all services to South Bank BID, including operational delivery, marketing and communications, business engagement, corporate governance, financial management and audit.
The attached chart and associated narrative sets out the various relationships that SBEG manages and coordinates with numerous organisations, groups and networks.
SBEG is now seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications to deliver across the full range of its work, and to drive a significant agenda with external audiences and stakeholders. Reporting to the Chief Executive, and working closely with other members of the Management Team, the post holder will ensure that SBEG’s objectives and priorities are fully understood and supported by central government, the GLA and Mayoral family, and local government. In addition to leading and delivering SBEG’s communications objectives, the post holder will oversee SBEG’s marketing and promotional activities and plans, and lead on business engagement, especially in relation to South Bank BID and its levy payers.
This is a senior position, and we are looking to appoint someone with sufficient experience, knowledge, and gravitas, capable of operating at a high level across a broad and diverse range of organisations that span several sectors, especially those in the commercial, statutory, and political spheres.
The main responsibilities for this post are focused around the need to develop, lead and deliver SBEG’s strategic action plans for marketing, communications, and external engagement, in collaboration with SBEG members, and our key stakeholders and partners. The post holder will also need to deliver on communications and marketing objectives for those organisations that SBEG delivers services for, specifically South Bank BID and Jubilee Gardens Trust.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Building and maintaining strong relationships with key contacts within SBEG’s membership structure, and using these to strategic advantage in delivering SBEG’s corporate objectives
• Planning and executing targeted communications, influencing and marketing campaigns, across and through a variety of channels, principally for SBEG but also for South Bank BID and Jubilee Gardens Trust
Member and stakeholder engagement
• Managing South Bank Marketing Group and South Bank Venues, and working with their respective members and Chairs to ensure delivery on relevant campaigns, projects and initiatives
• Leading and delivering a programme of research, insight and data analysis that continually evidences South Bank’s economic value and cultural importance, its ongoing investment needs, and relevant business and growth opportunities
• Leveraging SBEG’s and South Banks BID’s membership of key external organisations, including London & Partners, London First, Cross River Partnership, New London Architecture, British BIDs, etc
• Managing SBEG’s and South Bank BID’s communications, marketing and contacts CRM and databases, and developing them in accordance with agreed strategies and action plans
• High level stakeholder management, to achieve results, especially with external organisations and partners, and potential members
• Devising, planning and delivering high-level events, to communicate and influence key decision makers
• Preparing and delivering presentations to external audiences, using appropriate media
• Lead on and deliver to all aspects of South Bank’s collective marketing strategy, encompassing the work of SBEG, South Bank Marketing Group, South Bank Venues, and South Bank BID
• Work closely with senior marketing representatives of members of South Bank Marketing Group to agree marketing priorities, deliverables and performance, encompassing: digital marketing and social media; print; public relations; brand and branding; income generation; tourism and advertising
• Ensure that marketing income - through membership, sales and other initiatives - is maintained and developed, and that membership delivers value and a positive return on investment for members, whether existing or potential
Press and Media
• Develop and maintain relations with relevant press and media contacts, in London and nationally
• Undertake targeted PR and media campaigns, as required
• Regularly briefing media and press contacts on key aspects of South Bank and its future, in line with SBEG’s corporate communications objectives
Leadership and Management
• Leading the development of key strategies spanning marketing, communications, and external affairs and stakeholder relations
• Leading and managing a team, comprising: Communications Manager, Communications Officer, Marketing Manager, Marketing Officer, and Membership and Business Engagement Officer
• Working extensively and collaboratively and all members of the Management Team, to ensure alignment to and delivery of agreed priorities
• Oversee, coordinate and deliver specific projects and initiatives, as directed by the Chief Executive
In addition, you will:
• Comply with SBEG’s Health & Safety policies
• Comply with SBEG’s Equal Opportunities policies
• On occasion, work outside of the normal working week, including evenings and weekends
Suitable candidates should be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and relevant experience:
• At least five years’ experience of working in an equivalent senior role, in either / both communications and marketing disciplines
• A relevant and recognised academic and / or professional qualification in an appropriate discipline, and evidence of further professional development
• Ideally, some knowledge and experience of working within a membership organisation / structure, at a senior level, and across a range of professional sectors
• A demonstrate ability to work with major external organisations, including senior representatives, to represent and influence, and to achieve results
• A good understanding of the principles of destination marketing, tourism and the visitor economy, ideally in a London context
• Proven experience of using social and digital platforms to leverage awareness and engagement with audiences and stakeholders
• An understanding of urban place management, including regeneration, neighbourhood planning and the work of Business Improvement Districts
• Knowledge and understanding of the pressures facing South Bank, and a recognition of the need for services to match its location and reputation as part of London’s Central Activities Zone
• Excellent communication skills, particularly verbal and written, and a proven ability to prepare clear and concise briefings and correspondence
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team, working flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, including experience of working with senior staff and external bodies
• Commercial acumen, and a proven ability to maintain and grow income streams
• Financial planning, including budget setting and management
• Experience of working with a Management / Leadership team, and colleagues from different disciplines
• A clear ability to manage a demanding workload, often with competing priorities, to tight deadlines
• 25 days of annual leave increasing with length of service up to 28 days per year
• 6% employer’s pension contribution
• Interest free season ticket loan
How To Apply:
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button and email a current CV (no more than four pages) and a covering letter of no more than two A4 pages.
Please ensure that your covering letter and your CV fully address the objectives of the job description and the requirements of the person specification.
The closing date for applications is 1pm on Monday 13 November 2017.
Interviews will then be held on 17th November 2017.