Purpose of role
Enhance the profile of Mathematics Mastery, strengthen advocacy and increase engagement with key audiences through the planning, production and promotion of:
• User-centric content and campaigns which increase brand visibility and interaction
• Timely, relevant, high-quality communications to our network of schools
• Informative and inspiring stakeholder communications
Scope of job
This is an exciting and challenging role for an ambitious person looking to help shape and drive the communications and marketing of Mathematics Mastery. This is a varied position which demands a range of skills – notably writing, content creation and planning.
Working alongside the Head of Communications, Marketing and Fundraising, you will play a key role in delivering an ambitious marketing strategy which drives programme growth year on year. You must have the expertise and knowhow to take a strategic plan and turn it into tangible action plans – ensuring the right activity is delivered at the right time.
You will also take ownership of the development and delivery of our school communications plan, an area where there is plenty of scope for expansion and improvement. You will also play a key role in developing our stakeholder communications.
Working effectively with colleagues to extract relevant information, gather ideas and build stories is pivotal to success in the role. You will also be required to offer sound support and challenge, to demonstrate best practice and help upskill the entire team in communications.
Digital activity is a big focus for our communications and marketing, and simply producing great content isn’t enough. This role will also require you to think about how content is promoted online, how it’s tracked and measured and how it can be tested and refined to increase its effectiveness. If you don’t have a digital background, an appetite to develop your knowledge and skills in this area is essential.
• Play a key role in the delivery of the marketing and communications strategy, taking ownership of the planning and implementation of specific campaigns, tactics and initiatives.
• Lead on the annual communications plan for our network of schools, working with colleagues from across the organisation to gather and produce content, and provide expertise on messaging.
• Lead on the project management of cross-organisational communications and marketing activity.
• Contribute to the planning, development and delivery of key employee communications.
• Play a key role in the planning, development and production of external facing content, including blogs, video scripts, marketing literature and presentations.
• Take the lead on content marketing, to support our strategic aims.
• Draft high-quality copy for a range of channels and mediums.
• Take ownership of the half-termly newsletter which goes out to our network of schools, as part of the broader school communications plan.
• Work with colleagues to gather stories and information, and take the lead on turning this into compelling content.
• Advise on content channels and mediums, to ensure we are communicating our messages as effectively as possible.
• Proactively monitor the news agenda and education landscape, maximising opportunities for topical content generation.
• Drive organisational best practice, ensuring all communications and content meets our organisational standards and effectively represent the brand.
• Work with our Impact Manager to develop strong case studies and tell the story of how our organisation is making a difference within schools.
• Champion a digital first approach to marketing and communications, which includes testing and refining key customer touch points to improve organisational effectiveness.
• Manage our Twitter channel day to day, ensuring appropriate use and integration within our broader marketing and communications strategy.
• Play a key role in the monitoring and analysis of website traffic and goal conversions through Google Analytics, ensuring activity is tracked against an agreed set of KPIs.
• Build email campaigns in MailChimp and manage our opt-in database, taking a keen interest in how we can develop our use of this platform over time.
• Ensure the website is kept up to date, with fresh content added on a regular basis.
• Ensure all website content is optimised for SEO.
• Act as a key ambassador for the brand, providing advice and guidance to staff on brand values, visual identity and tone of voice.
• Play a key role in attracting new schools to the programme, enabling us to grow year on year.
• Play a key role in the development and delivery of creative marketing campaigns and tactics to support our strategic aims.
• Develop our suite of marketing collateral, ensuring we have a range of effective material for a range of audiences and purposes.
• Play a key role in tracking and monitoring all marketing activity, ensuring we can demonstrate the effectiveness of our work and identify areas for improvement.
• Monitor the news, political and policy agenda, highlighting relevant opportunities for response.
• Ambitious with a strong work ethic.
• Self-motivated and eager to learn in a challenging and varied role.
• Self-sufficient with the confidence and ability to work autonomously.
• Flexible and willing to adapt in a changing environment.
• A creative approach combined with practical knowhow.
• Curious and thoughtful mind, enabling you to immerse yourself deeply in what we do.
• Ability to digest complex information and translate it into simple, clear messages.
• A quick thinker and fast learner, with an appetite to grow and develop.
• Ability to influence, persuade and inspire others.
• A proactive and flexible approach to working in a fast-paced, evolving environment.
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to plan and lead projects.
• Ambition to grow with the Mathematics Mastery organisation.
• Strong belief in and enthusiasm for the Mathematics Mastery vision and mission.
Experience, knowledge and skills
• Exceptional writing skills.
• Experience within a varied, fast-paced communications or marketing role.
• Experience of developing and implementing communications plans for a high-profile project, initiative or organisation.
• Interpersonal and influencing skills, with the ability to form effective relationships.
• Skilled and experienced in writing a variety of content for a variety of audiences.
• Understanding of, and experience using, MailChimp or other email platforms.
• Understanding of, and experience using, Google Analytics (or a strong appetite to learn).
• Understanding of SEO (or a strong appetite to learn).
• Understanding of user experience (or a strong appetite to learn).
• Design skills and experience using InDesign and Photoshop (desirable).
• Interest in the education landscape and issues affecting mathematics education.
• Right to work in the UK.
Training and professional development
We are committed to the professional development of all members of the Mathematics Mastery team. As Mathematics Mastery is part of the Ark family, staff also benefit from the Ark training and professional development programmes. We also encourage staff at all stages of their career to take advantage of international visits and opportunities across the network.
Other staff benefits
Alongside our continued focus on professional development, we also offer a variety of other benefits which help our employees plan their finances and look after their wellbeing.
• GymFlex: Save up to 40% at your local gym
• Discount scheme: Employees can access up to £1,000 in savings a year from over 3,000 major retailers
• Interest Free Loans: We offer employees up to £5,000 in interest free loans for season ticket or bicycle purchases
• Childcare Vouchers: All employees are eligible for tax free childcare vouchers as part of a salary sacrifice scheme
• Healthcare: A low cost plan that gives you money back towards the cost of your optical bills, dental costs and consultations
Equality and diversity
Mathematics Mastery is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all staff. We encourage a diverse workforce and aim to provide a working environment where all staff, at all levels, are valued and respected. Discrimination, bullying, promotion of negative stereotyping and harassment are not tolerated.
To that end, we will not discriminate on grounds of gender, gender identity, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy and maternity, caring responsibilities, part-time working, or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work.
Mathematics Mastery’s HR procedures (for example, for recruitment and selection, staff appraisals and career progression) are based on an assessment of an individual’s ability and their suitability for the work. We are committed to providing all staff with opportunities to maximise their skills and achieve their potential, offering flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
To apply, please click the Apply button.