7 days left
- Part Time
Fight for Sight
Fight for Sight is the UK’s leading charity that is stopping sight loss through funding pioneering research.
Our vision is to create a future everyone can see. By funding world-leading scientists and clinicians we are helping make sight loss a thing of the past. We've already made huge strides. But the fight must go on.
There are currently over two million people in the UK affected by sight loss and this is set to double by 2050. For half of these people their sight loss is avoidable through a sight test and prescription lenses. For the rest it is not so straight forward. Medical research is vital if we are to find ways of preventing, detecting, treating and reversing sight loss.
Yet eye research is woefully underfunded. As the leading sight loss charity that funds research we need to raise our profile and awareness and increase our income so that we can increase our impact. We will not rest until we have a future everyone can see.
If you are an experienced marketing professional we need your help. We are looking for a Trustee to join our Board who will be committed to what we do and provide the skills and experience that we know we need. We are looking for an individual to challenge us, be part of shaping us going forward and become part of a strengthened and ambitious team. It is expected that the successful candidate will also join the Marketing & Fundraising Board Committee with the possibility of chairing this committee at a later stage.
Unremunerated. Travel expenses will be paid.
London E1 (Aldgate).
4 Board meetings and 4 Marketing & Fundraising Board Committee meetings per year and appropriate preparation time.
One strategy day per year.
Attendance at charity events including fundraising events.
Spokesperson as appropriate.
Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
Four years with possible re-election for four years.
General Trustee responsibilities
- To contribute actively to the Board’s work in providing strategic direction to the charity, determining policy, defining objectives, setting targets and evaluating performance against those targets;
- To protect the assets of the charity and ensure their proper investment;
- To ensure the financial stability of the charity and to safeguard its good name and ethos;
- To ensure that the charity complies with the terms of its governing instruments, charity law and any other relevant legislation;
- To appoint, monitor and if necessary replace the Chief Executive; and
- To act as ambassador for the charity when opportunities arise.
Specific Marketing Trustee responsibilities
- To work with the Board and staff to support the development of the position, brand and reputation of the charity to a variety of audiences to help the charity fulfil its mission and aims;
- To support the Director of Marketing & Development in developing integrated strategic marketing and communications campaigns across channels to raise awareness and income;
- To assist in overseeing the creation of a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the charity to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers; and
- To work with the Board and staff to recognise internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Strategic integrated marketing expertise at Board level
- Demonstrable experience of using marketing to grow awareness of an organisation / product
- Experience of the strategic use of social media as an effective communication mechanism to support activities
- Successful experience of operating on a board in a charitable, public sector or commercial organisation
- Experience of developing and implementing marketing strategies for charitable / not for profit organisations
- Experience of PR and media engagement to help deliver the strategic aims of an organisation
- Successful experience of operating on a Board of a fundraising charity
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining partnerships to achieve organisational objectives
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- Commitment to the aims of Fight for Sight and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- Good creative, independent judgement and strategic vision
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness. honesty and leadership
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity
The above list is indicative only and not exhaustive. The Trustee will be expected to perform all such additional duties as are reasonably commensurate with the role.
To apply for this position, please click the Apply button.
The closing date for applications – Friday 29 September 2017
Interview- w/c 9 October 2017
Interested parties to apply with a CV and covering letter for the attention of Michele Acton, Chief Executive to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we do not accept applications from recruitment agencies and unfortunately we only contact shortlisted applicants.
Apply for Marketing Trustee
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly