Head of Marketing and Communications
Overall purpose of the job:Extend the reach of and interaction with The Mix’s services across digital platforms amongst 25 year olds and under in the UK through SEO, social and widgets. To lead and manage the reputation of the Charity and its services with key target audiences, building positive awareness, managing potential risk and supporting the Charity’s strategic aims. Work with the Research and Insights Team to deliver sector-leading, innovative research, marketing and PR functions. Work with the Content Team to ensure The Mix’s website and content is on brand and suitable for all digital channels including: creating, managing and monitoring content; editing; commissioning and producing content; driving and monitoring traffic.
- Work with the Director of Brand & Innovation to build a clear, trusted and recognisable new brand for the Charity and its services, implementing brand values for each and embedding the Charity’s story across the organisation.
- Oversee research activity and statistical analysis through digital and software products to ensure that the insights we have play a leading role in informing the direction of the Charity.
- Devise and deliver an SEO and PPC strategy, managing the SEO Consultant.
- Manage the tracking of audience behaviour and develop key insights to inform marketing strategy.
- Support the digital and helpline service teams with volunteer recruitment campaigns
- Integration of marketing and PR activity to key stakeholder groups.
- Lead on integration of digital marketing activity and integrated campaigns in conjunction with digital, helpline and content teams.
- Work with the Communications & Events Officer to design and promote fundraising events
- Work with the Director of Brand & Innovation to implement the Marcomms and Research annual plans, delivering to The Charity’s vision and mission.
- Establish the collaborations and partnerships with sector organisations and media that will enable us to develop our position as a thought leader for priority themes.
- Lead on management of any reputational issues affecting the Charity, ensuring an effective crisis management system is in place.
- Ensure consistent and appropriate communication of the Charity’s key messages though social media, including the generation of video, graphical and written content.
- Anticipating opportunities or reacting to wider issues/media stories based around the young person calendar to engage key audiences through relevant stories on The Charity.
- Provide excellent management of staff, volunteers and external freelancers or consultants.
- Oversee and ensure effective management of the MarComms budget. Reporting to SMT and funders. Responsible for: Digital Marketing Officer, Marketing and Outreach Officer, Data Analyst, SEO Manager (freelance). Volunteers /freelancers / consultants / agencies as and when necessary
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Development and facilitation of annual marketing plans in line with strategy agreed with Director of Brand & Innovation.
- Devise and deliver SEO & PPC strategy.
- Devise and deliver multichannel marketing strategy through social media and digital tools.
- Monitor of performance across digital and media channels against targets
- Manage the integrity of the Charity’s brands.
- With the content team, manage and champion The Mix brand guidelines, including the training of staff.
- Manage agencies and outside suppliers in the delivery of design, collateral and activity.
- Work with the Communications & Events Officer to promote events and fundraising activities though on and offline channels.
- Lead on the design, production and distribution of marketing collateral.
- Preparation of copy for newsletters and social media communications.
- Manage marketing budgets
- Lead on the annual plans for the Media activities, integrated with Marketing Plans and clearly supporting the organisation’s strategic aims.
- Establish the key messages for all activity to deliver to these plans and translate these into effective messaging across the year for all our services.
- Develop and maintain a broad network of contacts in digital, sector and traditional media.
- Ensure that the Charity team uses a variety of PR tools - news releases, digital news releases, features, briefings, social media, letters for publication, photo opportunities - to ensure the Charity’s key messages are communicated in a consistent and appropriate way.
- Build relationships with opinion formers, bloggers and stakeholders; to support service and fundraising projects and initiatives; to seek out media stories and evaluate coverage against objectives.
- Stay abreast of current events to anticipate opportunities or react to wider issues & media stories in order to engage the media through relevant and related stories on the Charity.
- Ensure that the Charity has an appropriate and approved crisis communications approach.
- To effectively plan activity to deliver to strategic plans to deliver results, on time and to budget.
- Ensure the Charity Media team responds to enquiries from journalists and prepare verbal or written statements or provide spokespeople as appropriate.
- Support the Charity’s key spokespeople and case studies through the interview process to ensure on message media coverage. Providing appropriate training where necessary.
- Lead the adoption of new digital techniques and opportunities to impact effectively, keeping up on sector, technology and communications innovations and changes.
- Ensure effective management of out of hours press function.
- Oversee the strategic and reporting systems of the press office.
- Support analysis of audience with Research to derive marketing insight.
- Support the integration of website and helpline data.
- Analyse complex material and prepare clear, accessible statements and briefings to staff and supporters.
- Manage the part time Research Manager
- Any other duties consistent with the above as requested by the Director of Brand & Innovation.
- Represent the Charity externally and attend conferences and events as and when appropriate, creating positive networks for the Charity.
- Effective and creative activity planning and leadership to deliver results Person Specification: We are looking for a dynamic individual with a real passion and enthusiasm for helping young people to improve their lives.
- Deep understanding of digital marketing and advertising.
- Solid marketing background, with proven experience in a senior marketing role, and experience of delivering on and offline activity.
- In depth understanding of marketing strategy, marketing techniques and audience research.
- To contextualise marketing activity to user engagement.
- Experience of building and maintaining effective agency relationships with strong creative brief writing skills and able to provide clear, constructive and appropriate feedback to ensure effective activity.
- Excellent planning and project management skills, with experience of balancing creative inspirations with limited financial and other resources, ability to handle sensitive issues and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Good understanding of online and communications innovations, comfortable dealing with operational teams.
- Substantial and demonstrable experience of planning and implementing successful UK-wide media and PR campaigns within an appropriate environment.
- A proven track record in news management and in pro-active and reactive media work.
- Superb communications skills both written and verbal.
- Able to take complex information and ensure accurate and effective dissemination to media and stakeholder audiences.
- Considerable experience of building and maintaining relationships with journalists
- Knowledge of the charity, voluntary and government sectors.
- Knowledge of youth interest, culture and use of technology.
- Use of analytic software for digital and social tools to design key performance measures.
- A good understating of how metadata is used to differentiate campaigns
- Demonstrate understanding of email design at a coding level.
- Understanding of Adwords software and how it integrates with Google analytics and other analytics software.
To apply for this position please send your CV and cover letter addressing the person specification and job description http://www.themix.org.uk/about-us/job-vacancies/head-of-marketing-and-communications
To apply for this position, please click the Apply button.