Head of Marketing and Communications
The Design Business Association (DBA)
Founded in 1986, the Design Business Association is the trade association for all those working in the field of design, supporting them and championing the transformative power of design. Our membership consists of 450 design consultancies and design-driven businesses, including many of the brightest and most respected names. We work to build universal confidence in design investment and promote the power of effective design. The bridge between design and business, the DBA is committed to promoting the use of design at a strategic level to solve business and societal problems.
A key part of the DBA's role is to represent the design industry in the wider world - in particular, in its dealings with government and the media. Whatever the issue, it's our job to ensure that our members' collective voice is heard.
The role and responsibilities
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for a confident and competent professional to step up into a brand new role at the DBA, making your mark as you create and shape the DBA’s marketing and communications strategies and plans.
Working in an exciting and dynamic industry, with inspiring and market-leading design professionals, your job will be to correctly position and promote the DBA and its activities as we champion and support the industry and work continuously towards our corporate vision.
You will devise, lead and develop the DBA’s full marketing and communications strategies, delivering the right campaigns and activities – driving member acquisition, retention and brand awareness. This is an autonomous yet collaborative and supported role, reporting into and working closely with the Strategy and Communications Director to ensure your work aligns with our corporate objectives and directly cascades through, and is informed by, the full operational team (membership and programmes).
You will be responsible for setting up and leading the new marketing and communications team at the DBA and introducing key new approaches to the way we do business.
We are looking for a confident, driven and dynamic marketing and communications professional with an entrepreneurial mindset, capable of seeing both the big picture and paying close and consistent attention to end-to-end delivery.
- Develop and deliver DBA marketing strategy, starting from scratch to develop and oversee data-driven market research and customer relationship management processes which directly inform the DBA’s corporate strategy and its products and services.
- Develop and deliver an integrated and comprehensive DBA communications strategy, working creatively with small budgets and engaging audiences across online and offline platforms.
- Develop clear metrics and analytics to ensure clear ROI across all of our marketing communications outputs and channels.
- Work closely with the Head of Services to align DBA marketing and communications activity with the new member pipeline and lead generation activity.
- Work closely with the Head of Programmes to drive member and non-member sales across DBA events, training, awards and leadership programmes.
- Lead the design and development of the DBA’s digital and offline presence in order to promote content and bolster member recruitment and retention.
- Develop and lead proactive PR campaigns around DBA and DBA member activity which contribute to our positioning and support our corporate mission.
- Continual analysis and reporting of industry trends, stakeholder activity and other market forces, in order to inform and develop DBA corporate strategies.
- Lead the marketing and communications team across day to day activities and personal development and growth, ensuring objectives and work targets are being met.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Strategy and Communications Director across the DBA’s external affairs work.
Skills and expertise needed
- Solid and demonstrable ability to create, lead and implement marketing and communications strategies.
- Experience of managing budgets and taking a data-based methodology to the effectiveness and ROI of activity.
- Proven ability to design and deliver successful multi-channel customer acquisition campaigns.
- Creative, with a flair for the written word and a keen eye for the visual aesthetic.
- Experience of implementing new systems, processes and technologies to support key marketing and communications activity.
- Experience of leading and developing multi-channel customer relationship management initiatives.
- Preferable experience of working in a membership organisation.
Deadline: 5pm 15th May 2017, but applications will be continuously reviewed as they are received.
Salary: £40k per annum
Contract type: Full time, permanent
Reporting to: Strategy and Communications Director
Direct reports: PT Insight and Content Editor, FT Marketing and Communications Manager (with a FT Marketing and Communications Executive also in the team)
Based at: Design Business Association, 35-39 Old Street, London EC1V 9HX
Holiday: 25 days per annum pro rata
Please email email@example.com with a CV and cover letter detailing how you meet the requirements of the post. CVs without a cover letter will not be reviewed.