Global Director of Brand
The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading news organisations, recognised globally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. It provides a broad range of essential information and services, including news, comment, analysis and events to a growing, internationally-minded audience.
The FT is at the forefront of the digital media revolution, fully engaged in industry developments and recognised by many for its leadership and innovation in the field.
Operating at the very heart of the organisation, the Communications & Marketing department offers a fast-paced environment with a collaborative, creative and ambitious culture. The role suits a candidate who is confident and driven with a passion for news media, marketing and technology.
The Director of Brand will help shape and evolve one of the world's most respected news brands during a pivotal time for the media industry. Based in London, this role is responsible for the FT brand globally, including pursuing growth opportunities in markets such as the U.S. and Asia-Pacific.
The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional creativity, judgment and strategic thinking, working closely with colleagues across the organisation, including in B2C and B2B Marketing, Design, Editorial, Circulation and Analytics to ensure the brand program is effectively aligned with company wide objectives and marketing activities.
The position reports to the CCMO (board position) and is a member of the FT Global Senior Management Group and the Marketing Council.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Maintain a three year strategic roadmap for the FT’s brand marketing activity and oversee its implementation, including connection to the FT’s guiding objective of reach with return
- Effectively plan and manage the brand marketing budget, working with Finance and the CCMO in setting current & future expenditure to best support the growth of the business
- Develop a dynamic, insight-driven and best-in-class brand marketing program focused on reaching and engaging quality audiences with a propensity to subscribe to the FT across print, desktop, mobile and other channels
- Collaborate closely with senior stakeholders and the in-house design team to develop brand campaigns tied to the news agenda that resonate in the minds of existing and prospective readers and extend the brand into new growth areas
- Collaborate with the global communications team to ensure alignment of brand voice and corporate messaging, maintaining clear, consistent brand communications across all marketing collateral
- Protect the FT brand by maintaining brand guidelines and governing its use internally and by third-parties, working closely with the legal team and Creative Council
- Build relationships with key influencers in media and technology to maximise campaigns and build advocacy around FT brands, products and services
- Identify new and emerging tools, services and software and develop strategies to leverage and build the FT brand
- Oversee the company wide contra program, securing high quality, high value partnerships and maximising inventory across the FT
- Manage the brand marketing team and foster a culture of high performance and innovation
- Establish strong partnerships and collaborate openly and effectively with peers in the Senior Management Group and marketing teams in other departments.
- Build beneficial relationships with a wide range of external partners and oversee agency relationships
- Work with data analytics to ensure that brand marketing activities are effectively tracked to measure ROI, specifically helping to drive readership and business growth
- Work with the FT’s parent company Nikkei on brand strategy and activities which represent the Nikkei-FT partnership, and provide guidance and support on Nikkei Group brand projects as needed
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Approximately 10 years marketing experience working for premium global brands
- Exceptional creative and written/verbal communication skills and a sharp attention to detail
- Proven track record of conceiving and implementing award-winning, multi-channel marketing campaigns
- Impeccable judgment and strategic decision-making ability that balances a variety of factors to achieve an optimal outcome
- Ability to translate high level objectives into effective, strategic activity and deliver complex projects simultaneously, working to tight deadlines and within budget
- Successful track record of managing multiple stakeholders, quickly earning trust and developing strong relationships with peers and board level decision-makers
- Powerful interpersonal skills, strong social antennae and the ability to use these to effectively collaborate and influence outcomes
- Experience developing and managing high-performing teams
- A passion for news media and current affairs
- Interest in innovative approaches to marketing
- A strong industry network is a prerequisite
- International marketing experience, especially in the US, Europe and Asia-Pacific, is a plus